Friday, October 31, 2008

Yeah, Voters!

I decided to vote early yesterday and headed to my local polling site mid-afternoon. I saw the usual signage as I made my way closer to the building. I was even pleased with the fact that the line looked managable; I was in and out in about 65 minutes.

As I was rounding the last leg of my line (similar to that of a Disney World experience), I could barely manage to keep from tearing up. What took my breath away was the great pride I had as I watched people of all walks of life in line and ready to vote. Let me paint a picture for you.

Behind me was an elderly woman about 75 years old. She was there to vote along with her friend who had fallen only 2 days earlier. Her friend walked from chair to chair to sit due to her injuries and I couldn't help but notice the bruising and cuts on the left side of her face from her accident. I watched a group of young Hispanic women with smiles on their faces as they exited the voting room. I assume it was their first time and they were full of chatter and grins. I saw a heavy-set woman sitting in a chair waiting for someone. It was not until her helper took her to the voting booth that I noticed she was blind. A young male voter was in line almost oblivious to others around him with his iPod "plugged in" during his entire wait, but he was there!

I saw moms with their children, elderly couples, people in wheel chairs and on oxygen. Each was there to cast their vote. Each took serious the responsibility of their task.

Personally, as I pushed the button to cast my ballot, I felt a sign of relief. No longer do I have to listen to the commercials or read the articles or second-guess myself as I try to decide on the officials that will run our local, state and national government. I am ready to see the results and move on.

Mostly I am so proud of my fellow citizens who made their wayto the poles early, regardless of their personal difficulty.

Yeah, America!

No comments: