Wednesday, September 24, 2008

SPEAK UP!

I have always felt that part of my job description as a mother was to teach my children to care for others. And not only that, but to lead the charge! This was recently confirmed to me as I purused the Bible and specifically, Proverbs 31. The passage has long been a source of teaching for Christian women on how to be a "Wife of Noble Character" (vs. 10-31).

As I often do in reading a verse or two, I back up to see what was happening before then. What I read really struck me. A woman is giving her son counsel, for he is to be King one day. Here is part of her advice: "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitude. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy".

What a nugget! Have you ever wondered what you will tell your child as they go off to college or take their first job? We would probably warn them of the dangers 'out there', tell them to do their best, be successful and try to make a living in the process. But would we have the vision to give our children the bigger picture as this woman did? "Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves"!

As you think about the child or children you brought into this world, think also of the counsel you will give them as they begin making their mark on the world. How will they be remembered? For whom will they speak up?

CBM (Crazy Busy Mama),
Kathy

No comments: